Friday, March 11, 2011

Earthquake in China

I have to tell you, I'm a bit saddened by myself. The third news story on the bulletin this morning was about an earthquake in China that has killed around 22 people so far. I knew I would react like this, and I think I even wrote about it in a blog post last month. But it still seems incredibly cold to admit- I just didn't feel anything. I even went clicking around the Internet, and found a few terrible photos, but I didn't feel the sickening knot in my stomach that I felt for Christchurch. I guess the only change in my reaction between pre- and post-Christchurch 'quake was that this time I actually went beyond letting the news of a foreign tragedy wash over my ears, and tried to explore a little deeper. Still nothing. Is it a sympathy v empathy thing? In that I'm not well-traveled, and the places shown in the images are foreign to me in every sense of the word?

I guess the thing that has the most impact is how many people around the world DID care about Christchurch, whether they had been there before or had never heard of it in their lives. I desperately need to travel more- I feel very isolated and ignorant.

Sorry to be a bit of a downer on a Friday! Peppy post soon, I promise!

Image Source.

0 comments: