Friday, March 11, 2011

Christopher Reiger

I have briefly mentioned Christopher Reiger on this blog in the past, but I wanted to bring your attention to his more recent work.

At this point in my life I am in no position to be able to purchase works of art but I assure you that when I am, an original Reiger will be at the top of my list, provided he will ship to little ol' NZ! I will admit that in the meanwhile, inkjet printouts of Further Murmuration and A Cruel and Beautiful Faraway Place hang above my art desk and inspire me every time I pick up a pen or brush. I absolutely aspire to develop my work to a standard equal to his one day.

I love that his multi-chromatic works use such vivid colours, but in a way that is incredibly beautiful, and not at all garish. As longtime readers may possibly know, his lighter illustrations which feature a lot of white space were the sole reason I decided to start working with watercolours on paper last year.

I believe art should have significance and meaning, which is the main reason I have not been picking up commissions lately- while painting portraits is an excellent way of developing my skills, and I'm always pleased with the work I share publicly, I really hope to focus on bringing narrative into my work during 2011. I only like artworks that are beautiful in appearance, but I definitely prefer work that really can stand for 1,000 words and make its audience think too- and I feel that Reiger's work definitely can.

If this isn't enough to convince you of how completely fantastic Reiger is, then check out the Charitable Sales Model that he works to. It's absolutely admirable to run charity sales of artworks in specific times of need, but to be providing ongoing donations from art sales is incredible. I hope I have the income to be able to do the same one day!


1 comments:

Hungry Hyaena said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks very much for the kind words and support.

At a time when I'm juggling a lot of balls and fighting to make adequate studio time, your reminder that the work does find an appreciative audience is very much appreciated.

I wish you all the very best,
Christopher