Wednesday, April 17, 2013

77 Ayes

Normally "proud to be a Kiwi" comments make my face crumple into a visual definition of 'cringe'. But this evening it's totally appropriate and appreciated. Our Parliament passed the final reading of a bill to amend the Marriage Act allowing same-sex couples to marry. 77 votes for, 44 against. Wonderful!

I'm really tired, and trying to watch the first My Kitchen Rules finale decider before I fall asleep in my chair, as I type this (boy do politicians faff about). But I just had to type a teeny tiny possibly incoherent acknowledgement of what is a very important day for many of my fellow Kiwis, and really the country as a whole. There's a looong way to go judging by so many views I've read from those who were opposed, but it's a great step towards a country I can really be proud of.

2 comments:

Caitlin said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yay! So happy for New Zealand! I hope my country follows suit soon.

Lauren said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The video of everyone singing in parliament has been doing the rounds over here. Brought a tear to my eye! x