Friday, June 01, 2012

Time Capsules


I think most teenage girls keep diaries of some description. During my early years at college (high school) I had several Winnie the Pooh spiral bound notebooks in which I would over-analyse petty dramas. How fun was puberty?! I don't know how old I'll have to be before I can look back through those pages without groaning and cringing.

In 2004 I copied a couple of other friends, and replaced those notebooks with page-a-day printed diaries, up until 2008. It's something I think I'll resume next year, because while there are still many embarrassing entries, they're more of a scrapbook of each year. There's the occasional wordy rant, but mostly the pages are covered with photos, tickets, and letters. A school friend's damaged print from photography class, prompts from a first year charades game, an article on Heath Ledger's death.









7 comments:

Tyler said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This. I like it a lot. And how much fun will your children have looking through it in 20-30 yrs?

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I still have all of my old journals and they are SO VERY embarrassing. I love having them because although I remember what happened in high school, my memory of what I thought of what happened seems to be rewritten (I come out much smarter and cooler in my memory than in those books, that's for sure). I'll be thumbing through these when my kids are teenagers so that I can remember that I too, was an over-emotional idiot. And that it all feels so real at the time.

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm right there with you on the embarrassing teenage diaries, but I'm glad I have them. If nothing else they let me know how much I've improved as a person, and grown up!

Lauren said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

My teenage diaries make me want to die.
I like that I've kept loads of old bits and pieces over the years though. x

Jes The Militant Baker said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi love.

I just wanted to let you know that I found you and I adore your blog, attitude, and interests. I think too often people blurk (blog + lurk) and don't comment when they want to... I wanna change that!

I also wanted to let you know that I featured you on my list of challengers, changers, and champions.
Keep up the good work. You are a positive and gorgeous force on the internet.

Jes

www.themilitantbaker.com

Sam said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is so cool! I wish I'd done something like this. Every few christmases, I'd get gifted a diary and I'd write in it for about 3 days, then get bored. The life of a seven year old is rather mundane.

Looking back on my first blog posts is kinda similar, I guess, I just wish I had something tangible like your books!

Holly Knitlightly said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love these. I love how jam packed they are. I have a planner that I use for blog planning. It has a monthly section that I use for blog planning, then a daily thing & every day I write what I did the day before. Haha. Just a sentence or two. But I'm going to like being able to look back at it one day. l should start glueing things in & stuff, though!