Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Interview: Randy Ortiz

Randy Ortiz is a 29-year-old illustrator from Winnipeg in Manitoba, Canada. I found prints of his work on Etsy, and had to add him to my growing collection of artist interviews. He took time out from hs busy December schedule to provide me with some of the most entertaining answers I've had so far. Make sure you check out the rest of his portfolio, as his work is fantastic, and his prints are affordable.


Where do you consider 'home'?
Home is wherever the wind takes me, my friend.

Did you grow up in a creative environment?
Both my parents aren't artistic and the rest of my family isn't either (to the best of my knowledge). So I'm not positive where I got it from, but I do remember going through an awkward phase in pre-school (as we all do) where I experimented with psychedelics provided by the school nun. That may have been the 'switch' or 'catalyst' to my creative tendencies. I can also attribute my interest in illustration to my childhood neighbour, Frankie. He introduced me to comic books and that steamrolled from there.

Are you a full time artist?
At the moment I'm a part time architectural technician during the morning, then the rest of my day is spent either working on art or finding new work. And no, I won't mention the days I sometimes spend taking 4 hour naps immediately when I get home.

Where do you find illustration work opportunities?
All work is obtained by myself. It would be nice to one day acquire/afford an art agent, but going solo has worked pretty well so far. Networking on Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr, etc proves to be the winner for getting work. I'm also becoming a big fan of the cold call email. It does take lots of time to do, but if I can just get one project out of the 100 emails I send, then it's worth it.

What has been the highlight of your artistic career so far?
I think getting to do some work for Spoke Art Gallery in San Francisco, California has been the most rewarding and lucrative gig for me so far. The opportunities that rolled in after that exposure was great. I'm looking forward to doing more work with Ken Harman and Spoke Art.

How do you record your ideas for new pieces?
I find I usually skip the sketchbook method of jotting down ideas, because once something is in my head that I'm convinced has great potential, I immediately start working on it. I find roughing something out too much in the beginning can wear me out before I actually start committing to drawing the real thing.


Do you have any experience with exhibiting?
I only have two exhibits under my belt, but I'm looking to change that very soon. I had a ton of fun doing those and I don't know why I don't do them more often. I think it's the fact that by the time I finish creating a whole bunch of new artwork, they sometimes become stale and uninteresting to me and I no longer feel like putting them on display for everyone to see.

Is there a particular gallery where you would love to have your work shown?
Are there any galleries located inside of a whale? How about a dead horse?

What role has the internet played in your artistic career?
It's not just for cybersex or hard to find bestiality videos anymore. The internet actually serves a purpose and without it, getting the word out would've been incredibly difficult. 99% of the work that I get is through online networking. It's great to have to cut out the physical mailing of art portfolios to use like bait, waiting for someone to bite. Not to mention how much more cost/time effective it is.


Do you have any special routines attached to creating your artwork?
I like to spend a few weeks in the winter time out in the Ozarks and go hunting for what I like to call "Transcendental Formulations". The harmony and resonance of the cavefish are inspiring. Nights are spent in the caverns, bound, gagged and dehydrated. This creates a dreamscape for which I can run freely to expand my imagination in preparation for the morning's cave wall paintings.

What artistic training do you have?
I've never been to art school. The only class I've ever taken that was art related was screen printing. Everything else I've taught myself. School's for fools, kids. All the grown-ups are LYING to you.

Do you remember the first piece of artworkthat you sold?
I can't remember what exactly the first artwork I've sold was, but I'm pretty sure it was something ugly lookin' and embarrassing. Also, I'm pretty sure I thought I was the shit when it happened. “I'm a pro now!”. What an idiot.

Who are your favourite artists?
Off the top of my head: Ben Bonner, Matthew Woodson, Aaron Horkey, Ashley Wood, Robert Taite, Daniel Danger, Jim Bob Isaac, Simon Fowler, Todd Slater, Andrew Lodwick, Ken Talor, Rhys Cooper, etc.


Do you have a favourite colour to work with?
The color of fractal burdening.

What inspires you?
My insecurities and the irresistible urge to satisfy them.

Do you have any particular goals for the next five years?
I wanna sell out hard.

2 comments:

jenny said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh my gosh, this stuff is incredible. Yay for Canadian artists! :)

Damon said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

nice post :P
+follow