Friday, July 15, 2011

#2 Ritual

I've been sick all week unfortunately, so didn't really get the chance I was hoping for to finish this painting off properly. The prompt for this month was 'ritual', which was challenging. I interpreted it with this Google definition: "A series of actions or type of behavior regularly and invariably followed by someone." When I'm doing my make up properly, I have to sit in the same chair, with the same light and mirror, always before I get dressed and always apply everything in the same order. So it's sort of a self-portrait of my habit, rather than an accurate depiction of how I look... obviously. I had the composition for this painting all pre-planned out, but once I began painting it definitely transformed quite a lot- the first few layers had a lot of pink, and I gradually added more black and white until it became monochromatic with a little bit of red.

ALICE JONES
"Seven Thirty"
Acrylic on Canvas
25 x 35cm
NFS



2 comments:

Jaz Higgins said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Nice work Alice! It's amazing how a painting tends to "transform" itself, isn't it? Sometimes I swear I have no control of how it's going to turn out...

Teddi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

completely perfect self portrait!

http://honeybeelane.blogspot.com/