Monday, March 07, 2011

Top 10 Films

Sam at Honest to Blog! asked for lists of readers' top ten films. And for some reason I love torturing my indecisive mind, so after a lot of thinking and re-thinking; here's mine! In no particular order because that would be simply impossible. I haven't outlined the plots for any of them, because I hate the idea of spoiling a film for others.


The Dreamers
Finding a PG rated still to start things off was a little difficult. This film is not for the faint hearted, prudish, or easily offended. It is a little bit messed up. But Eva Green is absolutely phenomenal, and it's far and away my favourite film that's set in France. The whole film is my favourite scene, it's just fantastic- visual poetry.


Memento
Not a film I can watch on repeat, however the first time you watch it I guarantee you will want to see it again to catch what you missed. It's a bit to get your head around initially.


Closer
I love Natalie Portman, but there just isn't that many films of hers that I like equally as much. Garden State and V for Vendetta are both entertaining, but Closer is really the only one I can watch again and again. Clive Owen's presence helps, admittedly. This film is not as messed up as The Dreamers, but the language is pretty crude. This still is from what is probably my favourite scene, if you consider it to start at the photoshoot. It's not as hostile and intense as other parts of the film, but it definitely gives the viewer an uneasy feeling.


American History X
Edward Norton is amazing, that is all. (Not for the weak-stomached).


Inglourious Basterds
I'm no Tarantino fan girl- he's an incredible filmmaker, but I can't seem to watch his films again and again. Inglourious is the exception. I went along without knowing anything about the storyline and absolutely fell in love. It's brutal and funny and quirky and sexy and pure entertainment from start to finish. And Michael Fassbender is an effing babe.


Rat Race
A comedy that never gets old. You should have bought a squirrel.


The Life of David Gale
This film was not well received by critics according to the Wikipedia page, but it does alright on IMDb, and I loved it. I first saw it played late on TV a couple of years ago, and the ending really grabbed me. The plot is definitely flawed in places, but Kevin Spacey is consistently brilliant.


Atonement
This is one of those rare film adaptations which better the book. It's completely magical and devastating. The score is amazing. It's perfectly paced. It's stupidly tragically beautiful, and I cry every time. I absolutely recommend.


View from the Top
I can definitely do the odd cheeseball film, and View from the Top is number one on the list. Hello, tacky flight attendants and crazy airlines? Never gets old to me.


The Birds
If you haven't seen this freaking classic, you are missing out in a big way. In my opinion it's far superior to Psycho.

5 comments:

Wildfell Hall Vintage said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

you speak the truth, The Birds is far superior to Psycho...though Rear Window might just be my fave...

Bronnie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I like your top 10!! I may have to do this blog entry...

Admittedly I haven't seen The Birds or American History X, two that I know I should.

Totally agree on Atonement, definitely in my top 10 too!

Katie Palmer said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've only seen two of these!!! I am a sucker for chick flicks, so...that could be why. Time to add some to the list of must-sees.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I dont know what to say. This web site is amazing. Thats not truly a actually substantial statement, but its all I could come up with soon after reading this. You know a great deal about this subject. Much making sure that you produced me wish to understand additional about it. Your web site is my stepping stone, my buddy. Many thanks for that heads up on this theme.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I will add this blog to my favorites, it is great.