Sunday, November 24, 2013

Blog Q&A

I've been reading blogs even less than I've been posting blogs, so I hadn't seen this Q&A until my regular stop by Sometimes Sweet. Apparently it's doing the rounds? I need to get back in the know.

1. When did you first start blogging and why?

I started my first blog on Xanga, early 2005. Prior to that I kept traditional paper journals, but typing out all the feels was much easier than writing so the paper diaries became more like scrapbooks. I spilled my guts on that website, and that's where I met one of my best mates Dylan. Without whom I probably wouldn't have got to know Charlie. And life would be extremely different right now.

2. Have you had any past online presence?

Of course. It's all I bit jumbled in my memory, but my first website was a terribly cringeworthy though relatively (NZ) successful fan website. Then it was personal blogs, Myspace, Bebo, Facebook, Twitter etc. I jumped over to Blogger properly in 2010.

3. When did you become serious about your blog?

I'm not, and haven't really been. Well okay, a year or two ago I was posting very frequently and making some great connections - but it was still all very whatever-I-want-to-write-about if/when I feel like it.

4. What was your first blog post?

On this site it was a very angry post following a fatal mauling at Zion Wildlife Park. It was an emotional reaction and not terribly well researched. But I don't really disagree with the sentiment reading it again four years on - had a similar reaction today hearing plans to "destroy" a shark which killed a surfer in Australia.

5. What have been your biggest challenges blogging?

Lately it's been finding the time. Sometimes in the past it's been over-thinking my audience. I caught up with some school friends months ago and one of them told me she found out someone I don't know at all reads my blog. And obviously I can look at my analytics and see there's lots of people I don't know who stop by. But when it's a two degrees of separation thing, for some reason that weirds me out much more than people I know OR total strangers.

6. What's the most rewarding thing about blogging?

I think the best thing about blogging is the same as the best thing about keeping any diary - being able to look back on past experiences and feelings. Having a good record of things I'd otherwise forget. It's nice to write the odd post that entertains people or artwork/photos people admire. But really they're just fleeting visits; it's me that will keep going back to old posts in the future.

7. What is the most discouraging thing about blogging?

I think when you start out (especially on Blogger) and see all these (financially) successful bloggers posting incredibly mundane posts with pretty pictures you can feel pretty discouraged when you're putting so much effort into your own blog no one's clicking your comments and coming back to visit you. But I definitely haven't felt that way for a long time. When my visitor count was getting pretty decent every day, I did consider trying to find "sponsors" but never pursued that because I decided I didn't want that pressure. Or ass-kissing. Also the terrible spam attack earlier this year definitely discouraged me for a long time.

8. What is your lasting inspiration or motivation?

As I'm getting back into blogging again, it's been simply seeing that people are still stopping by the site even while I've been MIA and not wanting to disappoint them! Also there's one email I received almost two years ago now which I've kept this screenshot of on my phone ever since.

9. What is your blogging dirty little secret?

I'm not sure I have one? There's definitely some opinions I have about things within the blogging community that I keep secret. Oh, and anywhere I posted prior to Blogger is most definitely private-d.

10. What is your current goal as a blogger?

To post regularly again. So... to be a blogger? Haha.

0 comments: