Thursday, October 04, 2012

Letter to my future self

Dear 30-year-old Alice,

I guess this will be more of a here's-what-I-hope-for-you than anything else, because I doubt I can give you any great pearls of wisdom - though perhaps some gentle reminders. And unless technology progresses faster than I can even imagine, you can't write back with winning Lotto results or advice. Anything could have happened in the seven years between myself and you.

I'm hoping Wallace is still alive and well, and if you've abandoned him to go overseas indefinitely then I'm enclosing a big slap for your face. I do hope you have managed to go on a holiday to America though - your only acceptable excuse is severe illness or childbirth (in either case, I'm terribly sorry).

Of course I wonder about your relationship status (though please tell me Facebook is long dead by now - or at least that you've quit it). All of the possibilities are so weird to think about - a 10 year relationship? Someone who's currently a total stranger? Gasp, single? The most important thing is that whatever your situation, you're happy. I would hope you'll never forget the lessons learned from dickhead of relationship past, but if so, let this be a cue to jog your memory. Remember your resolve to never tolerate such bullshit again. Come on, get happy.

I hope your ankylosing spondylitis is still under control. If Humira is still working, I hope the Government is still paying for it, and I sure hope you can do your own injections! I hope you're as healthy as can be expected. I hope you don't smoke.

None of the 30-year-olds I know today have forgotten how to have fun by any stretch of the imagination, but if you've become even more serious and boring than I am now - snap out of it. I'm making an effort to have more of a social life again so you need to do the same, cat lady.

I hope you're a cool-aunt to your niece and nephew. Can't deny that Emily is probably still the coolest, but it's okay to be a close second. I hope you've grown closer to them, because I know you'll find it a lot easier to relate to them once they're teenagers than I currently do. But I do hope you've become a little less terrified of children in general.

Right now, turning 30 seems ever so far away. But I guess you could easily be reading this and thinking that not all that much has changed since you were me. If that is the case then it's definitely time to take action on some life goals you have. I'm totally cheering you on from the past. I am trying pretty hard to get everything in order for you, work-wise (has it become a 'career' yet?). On Monday I start a new job that I'm so excited about - I really feel like it's going to be exactly what I (we?) need. Personal goals-wise, I'm incredibly disappointed if you haven't exhibited your artwork again. I hope something you designed is forever needled into your skin.

Oh, and you better have you driver's license. I suppose that's more on my head than yours, but still. If you haven't then you totally should - there's, like, no denying your adulthood now. Sorry.

Love, 23-year-old Alice

3 comments:

Laura said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is gorgeous! You're so clever Alice! x

Caitlin said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love this :) <3

Nova said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh my gosh I'm turning 30 tomorrow, what I wouldn't do for some advice from 23 year old me. I bet it'd be hilarious!! I should do these.

My mom wrote a letter when I was born for me to open when I was 18. On my 17th birthday (we didn't want to wait) we opened it and read it out loud and laughed so hard. And cried, but it was mostly funny. It was so sappy.