Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday Feed


I made one one of my favourite dishes for dinner yesterday, so decided to photograph and blog the process. It's super-duper easy, because there's next to no actual cooking involved, but tastes really good. The amounts of ingredients listed below were enough for three Alice-meal-sized portions (two for Charlie, one for me). I like to eat it as a cold salad, while Charlie microwaves his, so go with which ever you prefer.

Also be aware most of the photos below are included because they were most aesthetically pleasing of all I took, not because I think you need illustrated instructions. And yeah, my nail polish is mega chipped. I am booked in for a manicure.


Ingredients:
1 large chicken breast (two if you prefer)
1 fat cucumber
1 red capsicum (any colour is fine)
1 packet of Singapore Noodles
1 tablespoon peanut butter (any kind. I usually use a larger quantity than this, but it was all we had left and it tasted fine)
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon white vinegar (rice or white vinegar is fine)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper




Peel the cucumber, core the capsicum, and slice both into long, thin strips.

Gently separate the Singapore Noodles, and blanch (I put them in boiling water for around 20 seconds, drain in a colander, and then run them under the cold tap briefly, but you can cook them any way you like). Set aside.



Dice the chicken breast, and fry it in a tablespoon of sesame oil (alternatively you can poach it in boiling water but I find that pretty bland). Set aside.

Spoon your peanut butter into a large bowl. Deglaze the pan from the chicken with quarter of a cup of water and the vinegar, then pour the hot liquid over the peanut butter to dissolve it and create a thick paste. Add in the rest of the sesame oil, soy sauce, and ground black pepper, then stir through the cooked chicken.


When ready to serve, add the cucumber, capsicum, and noodles into the chicken and sauce. At this point I normally stir in a handful of mung beans too, but Countdown failed to deliver them in my grocery order.


Done! Easy! Yay! I pretty much Rachael Ray-it every time and just splash in what ever ingredient quantities look right, so there's not much that can go wrong - just don't use too much vinegar is probably my only tip, and taste the sauce before adding the chicken of course.

1 comments:

Rochelle said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I have the same wooden snacks tray thingy (no idea what they are called)

Also your pictures makes me realise my next house has to have plenty of natural light in the kitchen!