Saturday, January 21, 2012

A List of Goals

I was recently inspired by Holly's "The List" to put together a list of goals I'd like to achieve in the relatively-near future. Most I think can be completed in 2012, but I won't put a time limit on it. For now there's 25 goals, but I'll strike them off as I complete them, and probably add more in the future. I've also added a wee 'goals' button on the sidebar

Get a bra fitting
Useless, right? I've never had one. I only recently learned that it's not as embarrassing as I'd imagined, so it's just laziness that's stopped me getting one.

Get a tattoo of my own artwork
Fairly self-explanatory. I have a couple of, erm, "topics" I also want to get, but would probably get a tattoo artist to design them. This is a more specific goal... no, I don't know what artwork at this stage.

Buy a cake tin and bake a cake
I've only ever helped my Mum and sister to bake cakes. I'm an alright cook, but have never stretched beyond cookies and scones in the baking department.

Study the Road Code and sit my learner license
In my defense, when I turned 15 my parents weren't very keen on me learning to drive as they didn't think I was ready. A year or so later I had a boyfriend with a car, so I didn't bother. Then I moved to Wellington and could use the public transport system, so I still didn't bother. I still don't feel like it's something I need to have, but I don't want to be learning at 30.

Learn how to use Photoshop
Charlie and our flatmate Matt were urging me to learn Photoshop the day I wrote this list, so I added this goal in. It is pretty sad that I make my blog layouts in MS Paint. And Charlie has it on his PC so I have no excuse.

Run every day for a week
I haven't been so far while on holiday because it's been nice to be super lazy. The most I've managed was four days in a row, so this should be easily achievable.

Get my first professional manicure
Never had one. I have pretty good, strong nails, and I'm really lazy about cutting them so they often grow into claws. I don't think ongoing manicures would really work due to frequent painting et cetera, but I definitely should at least try once. Next big event, I guess.

Meet Nadine Chalmers-Ross
I do feel silly writing this one, because she's a New Zealand TV presenter. When I got a tour of TVNZ last year with my friend Dylan, I saw her in the make up room but didn't get to meet her. I watch AMP Business every day for work, and she would be my career idol if I wasn't such a deer-in-headlights when it comes to TV.

Do my own Humira shot
I did my very first one in the nurse's office two years ago, and haven't managed to do one since- Charlie does them for me once every two weeks. Humira's administered with an EpiPen, so it's not like it's difficult, I'm just a major wuss when it comes to pushing that button.

Buy a DSLR
Obviously "save a buttload of money" is tied into this goal.

Learn to make espresso
I think I've worked in five cafes and restaurants now, and I never learned to make coffee. I know the steps from observing old colleagues, but have never actually done it myself.

Watch The Wire and When a City Falls
Eeeeveryone who has seen The Wire highly recommends it, Charlie included. We have all five seasons, I just need to get into it. And When a City Falls is a documentary about the Christchurch earthquakes, but I might wait for the DVD. I'm sure there'll be tears.

Read Nancy Wake's biography, Charles Lindbergh's biography, 1984, and The Hour I First Believed
I buy way more books than I read.

Visit and stay with my sisters; Carolyn in Waikato and Emily in Manawatu
Haven't even been to Carolyn's house since she moved so far north, and have visited Emily but not stayed with her. Bad sister award.

Start te reo Maori classes
I've actually signed up for night classes at WHS starting next month, so this one will be ticked off the list fairly soon.

Apply make up every work day for a week
6am work starts mean even if I manage to put a nice outfit together, I cannot be bothered applying make up. Which is fine in the early morning because all my colleagues look as shattered as each other. But I often feel like a bit of a bum walking home in the early afternoon.

See Kate Miller-Heidke live
Doesn't matter where, though it would be great if she came to New Zealand.

Sell my artwork online
I have sold a couple of pieces in the past, but I'd like to set up a store of prints, probably on Etsy or Felt.

Have my first solo exhibition
I doubt I'll get serious about this until around March- a bit too much happening until then. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time so I'll start planning and setting specific targets in a couple of months.

Completely quit smoking
I lasted a week, and then my free e-cigarette's cartridge ran out of steam (ha). I lasted a few days just having an occasional puff from Charlie's smoke, but have smoked more in the past two days. I know. At least I know it was reasonably easy to resist using the e-cigarette, so I'll buy more next month and try again.

Have dinner at Arbitrageur with Charlie
Have been there a couple of times now with my old work colleagues and Charlie's family. Fabulous decor, delicious food, pretentious staff. I want a fine-dining date for my birthday.

Draw in my sketchbook every day for a month
May make this a February project.

Play Pictionary with Charlie, Dylan, and Emily again
Miss this a lot.

Paint a wedding portrait for Vikkie and Brendan
Rather high on my to-do list now.

Return to Australia
You knew this one was going to creep in, right?

12 comments:

Teddi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

fantastically ambitious dear alice! i can't wait to see your tattoo. ok, i can't wait to see you document all these things that you'll be crossing off your list. you can do it. i believe! :)

Holly Knitlightly said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I think I need to get a bra fitting, too. My sister does them for her part time job, I should just get one from her... haha.

I think it's awesome that you want to get a tattoo of your own artwork! So cool.

Ugh, I need to get my license, too... just thinking about driving gets me on the edge of a panic attack, though. Blah.

Keith & I started watching the first episode The Wire & we couldn't get into it... we need to start again! Haha. Everyone says it's so good!

I had to google te reo Maori, and that's AWESOME. Good luck with that!

This is a great list of goals & I can't wait to follow along as you work on them! :)

Caitlin said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Very ambitious! Sending you lots of luck :) Photoshop isn't that bad btw once you get used to it!

Caitlin said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh oh oh, bra fittings! The best thing I ever did in my life (ok, maybe slight exaggeration, but it was awesome) was get my bra fitted. Turns out I was wearing a bra that was 3 cup sizes to small for me, and what a difference it's made. If you have a Bendon outlet near you they should be able to help out and not sucker you in to buying a bunch of bras that are $80 each.

Also as other Caitlin said, Photoshop isn't that bad, just start playing around with it and you will learn a lot, and if you get stuck Google is your friend. As is the "image" menu!

Good luck for all your goals! I think I need to start listing mine now.

PS - Your learners is pretty easy, just pick the sensible option and you'll generally be fine :)

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Return to Australia? For a holiday or to stay? Where do you plan to visit? I'm in west QLD.

Allie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've just finished reading 'The Hour I First Believed' and it is AWESOME. Love Wally Lamb!

Allie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've just finished reading 'The Hour I First Believed' and it is AWESOME. Love Wally Lamb!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great goals!

Sara Lucinda Bell said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love all of these! What great goals! And I can't believe you've never had a professional manicure!

Sam said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I had my first bra fitting at 23. Totally not a big deal, it took about 2 minutes and it turned out I'd been wearing the right size bra! Hoorah!

I should probably go for another fitting though, I've got much fatter haha :) x

Brendan and Victoria said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I like that you have such a board range of goals! I also like that this includes a painting from Brendan and I. <3
Ps there is this roadcode online test which I used way back when I did mine http://www.aa.co.nz/motoring/licensing-training/road-code-quiz/ :)

Alice Jones said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I swear I will get to it Vikkie! Haha. Totally can't wait to get all my art stuff set up in the new place - you sooo need to come visit! Awesome, thanks for the link x