Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Big fat update.

Hey guys! I feel like I've slightly wasted an opportunity recently as my visitor count has increased significantly thanks to sponsoring IROCKSOWHAT, winning the Street and City Photos ring and being featured there, plus traffic pointed this way by featuring Cameron Garland from Cameron + Whitney. So I haven't really been engaging with my new visitors but hopefully some will return as I post more in 2012!

I've been sick for the last two days- I feel like I'm always saying that. Obviously I do get sick more frequently than "normal people" because Humira affects my immune system, but I think also being sick gives me some time out to think, and then want to blog as I'm getting better. So here I am.

My new Elusion e-cigarette arrived today- actually following through on this resolution so far! It has to charge up for six hours, so I'll officially be trying to quit from tomorrow. I went on to a few New Zealand-based e cigarette websites just after New Year, and Elusion had the most basic pack, Elusion USB 1123, listed as being for free. So I signed up for that, but kind of half expected it to be a bit of a scam. Now that it's actually turned up, I'm regretting not sharing the link around or at least ordering one for Charlie too, as the single cigarette's retailing for around $30 now! But we'll see how it goes- if it works for me I could just buy some more cartridges for him or something.

My Mum and sister Emily were in town this afternoon so they dropped by to see me with some afternoon tea, keeping their distance from my nose and my mountain of tissues of course. Emily also brought me this cute fox ring she bought in town, as well as some new jandals and some nail polish top coat.


Last weekend I was a bit bored so I took some new self-portraits with my tripod. I've ended up with a new photo for my "about" page, and I ended up with a bunch of dud photos. I like these two below also, so let me know if you have a preference... I'm really bad at changing my photos all the time which is a little vain I guess! The pink top is from Valleygirl, and the straps are a grey pinafore I got a long time ago from Paper Bag Princess. The grey and black dress is from Max.


My wonderful friend Sarah was in town last week (from Tauranga) so I hung out with her as often as I could, and went to town with a few of her local friends on Saturday night which was fun. The amount of exercise she does is so inspirational to me, and I ended up going on a two hour walk to Kilbirnie with her and back over Mt Victoria to town the first day I saw her. The three consecutive days after that I went on a walk/run/walk/run each day and it's feeling great. Have obviously not been this week since I'm feeling so bad, but will start that again hopefully from tomorrow. Not seeing any physical changes so far obviously, but I'm eating much healthier too and definitely feeling a lot less unfit than I did a couple of months ago.


A few days ago I saw a documentary recommended on Facebook called Dear Zachary. I'd never heard of it before and hadn't heard of the case either since it took place in North America in the early 2000s. I found the complete film on YouTube here, and watched it on Monday evening. Unfortunately before I found it I spoiled it for myself by reading a review, but it was still incredibly worthwhile. In spoiler-less short it's a film made by a man after his good friend is murdered by his ex-girlfriend. The ex-girlfriend revealed she was pregnant with the victim's son after she was arrested, so the filmmaker decided to travel around the USA and UK interviewing the victim's friends and family, in a tribute film to give to the child when he was older. I know I've shared quite a few tear-jerker links on this blog in the past, but this is definitely not an uplifting kind of film- it's devastating and will probably make you furious, but I highly, highly recommend that you watch it next time you have a spare 90 minutes. I was sitting in my computer chair sobbing, for real. If you're planning to watch it I advise you not to read about it, nor look at the comments below to avoid spoilers. For some reason the video's not titled Dear Zachary, but I'm told it's exactly the same film. I've read some more about it on IMDb since, and I can definitely acknowledge comments which point out how biased the film is and to some degree rather amateurish, but really it's the honest views of a victim's devastated family and friends. It's available on Netflix in the USA as far as I know, and also on DVD. But if you don't have any moral objection to watching it online then YouTube is the way to go. Please let me know if you watch it! Just avoid spoiling for others in the comments.

This post is so completely out of chronological order, but that's alright.

One other thing I should acknowledge since it made international news is a horrible accident which occurred in the Wairarapa on the weekend, where my hometown is located. Eleven people were killed when their hot air balloon crashed- five couples and the pilot. It's beyond horrific, something I don't even want to imagine for anyone involved. I'm thankful I don't know anyone who was on the flight, however I do know several high school friends and work colleagues who knew a few of the deceased quite well so my thoughts have definitely been with them.

So that's what's been going on lately. Yesterday was also one year since I began my job, and I can't believe how fast it's flown by. Of course there are elements of my previous job that I miss to this day, but overall this job is an extremely positive step in my make-it-up-as-you-go career. I hope 2012 has started off brilliantly for you all, and I'll aim to be a much better blogger starting now.

7 comments:

Sarah said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

YUUUSSS - photo and mentions! You are wonderful too!!!! <3 u and your blog hehe xx

Allie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Just finished watching it... cried like a little bitch... damn you Jones!!!

Phoebe said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love the photo with the pink top, because you look happy :)

Caitlin said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Congrats on the increased traffic! And I like the picture on the left, love your smile!

Heidi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm new to your blog and proud to say I'm your most recent follower! I found you via IROCKSOWHAT and can't wait to follow your blog journey.

I'm also a cat lover and "Dear Zachary" watcher.

http://oliveobserver.blogspot.com

Teddi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

boo autoimmune diseases & their evil meds too! i like your self portrait photos. hope the e cig is going well, & your fox ring present is cute. that story about your town is very sad.

Charlies Mum said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love the pic with the pink top. Think you are VERY brave to go Blonde - even just to try has been too much for me - apart from Grey of course :-) And GO the E-Cigs. You are one powerful young woman! Lucky Charlie. haha. Much love, Charlies Mum