Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I am weird.

I read a Tweet the other day that made fun of girls who say "my boyfriend" at every opportunity. And I laughed, because we all hear that, right? And then I remembered that I'm not one of those girls. In fact, I'm the exact opposite.

A couple of weeks ago I went into a store on my way home from work, and bought Charlie a Bearbrick. Just because. The girl behind the counter politely asked how many figurines I had in my collection, and I replied, "Oh, it's not for me, it's for... a friend". A friend?!

Even at the time my inner voice went "wtf, you weirdo", but I could have told you right then and there exactly why I said it. I had no make up on, my hair was due for a wash, and I was wearing whatever clothes I'd pulled from a pile as I rolled out bed at five o'clock that morning for work. And this insecure little girl I just cannot get rid of thought there is no way this polished young shop assistant is going to believe you have a boyfriend.

There's no evidence of this ridiculous insecurity within our relationship; we're super happy together, and have been for two years now. But for some reason, when I talk to other people about Charlie I turn into an adolescent being quizzed by grown ups about her crushes.

Does anyone have a discount code for a bulk order of self-esteem?

4 comments:

Lauren said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I used to do the exact same thing. I still do it now, and I'm married and have been for a couple of years! It's super annoying saying 'oh it's for my husband' and then you get the whole, 'oh.. you're married' or 'you're too young to be married'. And its just not worth the extra minute of conversation I don't want to have.

Then I feel like a dick. A dorky dick for carrying on like a teenager.

Lauren
http://tasteslikelove.blogspot.com

Teddi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

ha-ha! if they have that for sale, i guess i should probably stock up on some too.

Lauren said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

If I'm with my boyfriend, I try and dress better or put on makeup even when I can't be bothered because I always think other people will wonder why he's with me or feel sorry for him.
(I told him once that I do this and he was furious!)x

Marthaamay O_o said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh dear, yes I agree with this. It sounds so awful! Other half or partner just sounds weird too. I suppose we can just stop at, oh, it's not for me.

Oh sigh.