Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Interview: Sarah Harman

Sarah Harman is a 23-year-old artist and blogger who lives in Sussex, England. Like myself, Harman works a full time job and carries out her creative pursuits aside from this. I definitely think I can learn a lot from her dedication, and I was really excited that she agreed to be interviewed. Harman regularly features fashion bloggers she admires, and accompanies her posts with one of her amazing illustrations she creates using cosmetics.






Where is 'home' to you?
The South Downs countryside and Brighton - I love the sea and the culture! I'm so lucky to live in such a vibrant town.

How long have you been creating artworks?
I have no idea, since I can remember at least! I still have a drawing I did of my cat when I was 6 or so on my wall.

How long have been working in your current illustrative style?
About a year and a half now. I started with portraits and I'm now doing for full figure illustrations.

What materials do you usually use to create your portraits?
Make up. You should see peoples faces as I go to the till with an arm full of cheap make up - I must look crazy! Occasionally [I use] watercolours and fine liners.

Is your family artistic?
My father was a carpenter and he made my sister and I the most wonderful wendy house when we were kids. My mum is a brilliant sewing machinist having made all of her dresses when she was my age, she even made her own wedding dress! And My nanna makes quilts, lace and a whole number of other things so yes, I guess my family are artistic!

What artistic training do you have, and do you believe you have benefited more from formal lessons or your own experimentation in developing your style?
I did art for GCSE, A levels, did an art foundation and went to uni so I guess I have had a fair bit of training but they can only teach you so much. They taught me how to experiment with different medias to work out which ones worked best with my style of drawing but it was actually a friend in my uni group who suggested I drew with make up and I've been addicted to drawing with it since!

What was the first piece of artwork you sold?
A pack of postcards with prints of my portraits on Etsy.

Have you participated in any exhibitions?
I've taken part in a lot of college and uni exhibitions over the years but haven't partaken in any independently yet! Its something I'd certainly be up for doing in the future though.

How has the internet aided your career so far?
Well its given my work a lot larger audience what has resulted in various illustration commissions and sales of my postcard prints on eBay. I don't think I'd be where I am with my illustration work at the moment if it wasn't for the internet.

Where do you record your ideas for new pieces?
Scrap pieces of paper littered around my desk.

How many hours in an average week would you spend working on your artwork?
This really varies as its not my full time job at the moment. I work the 9-5 for now so fit my illustration working hours around this. Sometimes it can be 20+ hours per week but sometimes its just one or two if I have a lot of social things planned.

What do you do in your spare time?
I am lucky to live in the country side so I regularly go horse riding, for long country walks and hang out by the beach with my friends at the weekend.

Who are your favourite artists?
Julie Verhoeven, Richard Grey, Coco; there are loads of fashion illustrators I'm obsessed with!

What inspires you?
Ooh everything and anything? I love English things, I'm very patriotic in that respect. I also love the weird and the wacky which is perhaps why my artwork has a kooky edge to it.

Do you have a favourite colour to work with?
Black and the red spectrum like pinks and reddy browns as they really make black on white paper pop.

Is there a particular city you would love to exhibit in?
London and New York as they are both cities full of attitude and I'd love to draw portraits on the streets there!

What has been the highlight of your artistic career so far?
All of the support I've received via my blog and Twitter! Its such a great feeling to get compliments on my art work and I'm flattered that people have taken the time to tell me what they think.

What are your goals for the next five years?
My main goal is to make fashion illustration my full time occupation - I have so many ideas I'd like to work on! I'd absolutely love to work with a cosmetics company and illustrate their packaging.

Sarah Harman blog.
Sarah Harman Etsy.
Sarah Harman Facebook page.
Sarah Harman Twitter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I live close by to her :) This is lovely artwork, such a good idea to work with make-up!

Sarah Wiske said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Fantastic interview:). She has a beautiful style!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi :) yeah im back, its okay but im seriously running out of money and i have 4 months left still..