Sunday, June 12, 2011

Five Years Ago

So I've been sitting around this Saturday evening (slash Sunday morning...) refreshing Facebook and clicking around various blogs and art portfolios. Fairly standard. Charlie went to bed super early because he's working all weekend and halfway through next week, boo. So didn't really have much to blog about until... I hit the nostalgia jackpot! My parents' old computer busted a couple of years ago, and there were many photos saved on there that I just accepted were gone forever. I decided I had nothing better to do, so logged onto my old teenage blog to ensure all the privacy settings were at max level, and noticed a little photo tab... which hello, had ten pages of often cringeworthy gems from circa 2005-2006! So excited!

I thought I'd share with you guys some photos of how my bedroom used to look when I was about sixteen! All the things pictured are either here with me now, boxed up in storage or thrown away, and the room definitely doesn't look like this anymore. Never thought I'd see such clear photos of it again, a good reminder to take photos of 'every day' things. Not that bloggers probably need reminding of that!

Can you tell how giddy I am?!


This is looking in from the doorway. The teddy bear sitting on my bed is Hans, who still moves with me every house I live in.


Jake Gyllenhaal collection... cluttered messy wardrobe.


That's a tiger beach towel hanging on the wall. I had the most hideous wallpaper (which I actually kind of like now) so I stuck all sorts of crap up everywhere to hide it.


Note the collection of aeroplane ties draped over the mirror! I hope they're still in storage somewhere. I had a bit plan of making a skirt from them, and managed to collect about six or seven over a couple of years. The skirt never eventuated which is probably for the best. The little purse hanging from the dresser was for my 7th form ball. Ohh and that red plate sitting on top is ladybird patterned. I bought it at a Martinborough Fair for one dollar, and managed to keep intact through many different homes until it broke just a month or two ago.


Okay I guess I must have been seventeen, because the lilies on my art desk were from my 7th form ball. In that case I will leave you with the photos I found from that ball! Below is me, my high school boyfriend and my wonderful friend Ash, who was featured very recently in this post! If you can't quite tell, my dress was made from musical note fabric. Hahaha I was such a freak, just had to be quirky! Being a teenager was so much fun, but holy crap am I glad it's in the past! A lot of the time I don't feel like much of an adult at all, but then I stumble across things like the photos tonight and realise just how much older and wiser I am now. Thanks for walking memory lane with me all, hope it wasn't too boring!

4 comments:

a little quixotic said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Alice I love reading your blog for lots of reasons, but partly because I am 23 and a Wellingtonian. I feel like I can relate to a lot of what you write. I loved this post and upon closer inspection noticed that you and I had/have exactly the same bedframe (except mine is a lighter coloured wood)!
It's always great to reflect on the good and bad times and to see how far you've come :) ... and love your sheet music balldress!! x

dinosaurtoast said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

your roooommmmm!!!!!!!!!! awh i love old bedroom photos! so many memories ay! :-) i always try to take photos of my rooms i live it.. your the best for posting this! xx

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hahaha Alice! Your ball dress is so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you have it made? So so cute.

Alice Jones said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You write like I know you irl- sign your name! :-D

Yeah I had it made from a drawing I did. The dressmaker originally did this tiny little black collar, and I was like NO! Do it again- big and theatrical! Such a dork :-D