Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Attn: Bespectacled


Dear readers, I have a recommendation for you. Before I begin [what is, with hindsight, a rather rambly sort of post] I will just clarify that this is absolutely not a paid promotion (though I'm not opposed to the prospect) but merely a heads up from a satisfied customer [I'd probably have to omit the charming anecdotes found below if this were a paid post. You're welcome].

I went to an optometrist way back in primary school, when it was discovered I couldn't see the whiteboard. I remember being dumbfounded by how clear the world was after we picked up my new metal-framed glasses, which were adorned with a (questionably) subtle leopard print. As fellow vision-impaired readers will know, being a child with glasses means getting a bit of stick from your peers- the term "four eyed beast" still makes my fists clench in anger, and the particular bully who coined that phrase is actually now deceased. I digress.

When I got to around age 15, I was wearing my glasses as little as possible, and learning to recognise uniformed blurs as individual school mates. All was well. Then I finally got contact lenses! I've worn the 30-day contact lenses for the past few years, and found them super comfortable. I was prescribed the ones that you can sleep in due to being extremely lazy and irresponsible. Anyway, despite being 'breathable', leaving the lenses in my eyes so much has made the veins in my eyes grow over the whites a bit more than normal, and one of my irises has actually started to change colour a little. Not good, I know... I will schedule an optometrist appointment one other financial requirements are taken care of...

ANYWAY, a couple of years ago my Mum was recommended a website called Zenni Optical, which ships dirt cheap prescription glasses straight to your door. We bought three pairs, one of which I wore fairly frequently, to give my eyes a rest.

Recently I ran out of my supply of contact lenses, so I have been wearing my glasses all the time. They get a bit uncomfortable at work while wearing headphones over them, so I've just gone back to the Zenni website to have a look at what they have now. And boy, it's had a total makeover since my last visit! You can now upload a photo of yourself, and test out all sorts of both smart-and-sensible and bizarre frames (see above). The best part about doing it on this website is that when you find something you like, you can actually afford to buy it!

Now, I haven't bought anything from there in at least two years, so don't hurt me if you order and something gets messed up. But when I got my pairs, we had super speedy delivery. They are obviously not going to compete with glasses worth several hundy in an optometrist clinic, no. The ones I have purchased are plastic, and have minor (very minor) imperfections. But they give you perfect vision (you will need your prescription details handy when ordering online, but everything is well explained) and are amazing value even to just have as spare pairs, or to match different outfits. Most styles are also available with sunglass-tinted prescription lenses. Go have a look, and let me know if you order anything! I'll definitely be whipping out my debit card and clicking my way to a few new styles soon...

7 comments:

Caitlin said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a cool idea! I'll have to check it out!

Han said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I had an eye test last week - it's not good - I'm okay for close up viewing like my computer but anything longer than that I'm having trouble - even squinting in church to read the powerpoint unless I'm like right at the front! My new glasses should be ready on Friday which is awesome because I'm fed up of being blind lol. There's an opticians here that have a camera thing like that on their website but it doesn't work very well - I tried to upload my picture but couldn't get it at just the right angle for the cameras to look right.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

those second glasses are super cute

Kat said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm planning on getting some glasses from Zenni in the next couple of months. It'll take me that long to make an eye test appointment! My eyesight is getting rather bad :(

Kat said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh, and I like the first and last ones!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I got three pairs a couple of months ago and really love them. Only NZ$20 each!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for sharing this. I've spent the last twenty minutes or so looking through their website. When I need new glasses I will be considering this as an option.