Monday, December 20, 2010

Scares and Swears

Thank you to Rhiannon for bringing to my attention the obvious physical difference between Australian (and NZ) possums, and American opossums. Oh, my. The images from a Google search will haunt me. Check out this hideous photo captioned "playing possum" on the Wikipedia page.

On Friday night I met a local girl who had spent the past year going to high school in Minnesota. She said she found it hilarious how she said "Oh, damn" in class once and was admonished by the teacher. Apparently she swore like a fucking sailor in comparison to her peers, even in social situations. Would be interested in hearing feedback on that from Americans, or well-traveled Kiwis. Are we excessive swearers? Or was she in an excessively prudish part of the country? Also, apparently asking "Where's the toilet?" is horrifying. Cultural differences, eh! Just makes me even more desperate to travel there.

As I keep saying in these brief posts, life is horribly stressful right now. It will all die down by Christmas, so I'll be back to my old blogging habits around the New Year. Stay tuned, and thanks for your patience!

Also, apologies if fragments of this post have shown up on your Reader. Google Chrome is just not cooperating with Blogspot today, so I have to open Firefox. Have never had a problem before, so hopefully it's fixed soon.

2 comments:

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The ones in NZ are much much cuter...

Kristen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I live in Canada and I swear a LOT...and if someone asked where the toilet was I would tell them without thinking twice...however I would definitely try not to swear in school...although I don't see why darn was a bad word...
As for possums...the ones in North America are freaking scary