Sunday, October 31, 2010

Rufus Wainwright

Finally got to see Rufus Wainwright live this evening, after nearly a year of anticipation! The first half of his show blew my mind. I've been listening to the All Days are Nights album for the past couple of months at work, and he performed the entire album without applause. He was lit by a single spotlight, with amazing images of his eye on a large screen behind him, and wearing all black with heavy white makeup and a long black train behind him. The silence between songs was so intense, I loved it. I guess the only thing I didn't like that first half is that his voice is so incredible live and it wasn't easy to see him so it was kind of just like listening to the album haha. Almost cried when he began. Almost.

The second half was lots of his older songs, including The Art Teacher which I was stoked to hear! I love the way he cracks up at his own jokes. Charlie said he surpasses NPH and Marc Jacobs as his favourite gay person. High praise.
Oh yeah, and we totally met him afterwards. I won't tell you how long we stood in the cold for to do so... hahaha. Was so determined.

5 comments:

Han said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Did he sing La Complainte De La butte or Rules and Regulations - they are two of my faves

Alice Jones said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yup he sang La Complainte de la Butte but not R&R. From memory he also sang: Going to a Town, Hallelujah, Cigarettes & Choc milk, The Art Teacher, Poses, Vibrate, Dinner at 8, Memphis Skyline... that's all I can remember from the 2nd half! Oh and Kate McGarrigle's Walking Song

Nicole said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hello Alice!

Cool! I wanted to go to this show! I bet it was awesome!

Nicole

Sarah said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hmmmm coldness (a long time) - well worth it :)

HarryBlog said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi! I went to this show too! And scarily enough, it was me and my friend who were the only other people waiting out in the cold for Rufus!!! Please email me! hummersrmine@hotmail.com