Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Five O'Clock World

My work faces, in no particular order other than aesthetic. Cheerful, tired, stressed, content...
I set up a savings account yesterday (FINALLY!) mainly so I'll make a real effort in saving up spending money for our Australian holiday next month. I am beyond excited. I've never ever been anywhere but right here in New Zealand, and even then I get excited about any old road trip or weekend away.

We are staying at the Mantra Phoenician for three nights and it feels like winning the Lotto.

I paid for my new Passport today (which features a new-but-equally-as-hideous-as-the-old photo), and I set aside the first $100 into my savings account for spending money. I think I can probably manage to save between $500-1000, if I'm really disciplined.

I should explain; I got a Passport as it was a requirement for the Flight Attending training I did in 2007. But then my health turned to shit and I dropped out, so never used it.

I got a free trial at Exodus gym, so I'm going along tomorrow evening to have a look around. I've never been to a gym in my life, and I'm so unfit it's horrific, so it should be pretty much hell. I'm not seriously concerned about my size at this stage... but it would still be nice to get my summer-body back as soon as possible (which is nothing exceptional either, but it's all relative...) I don't see myself quitting smoking anytime soon, so I've been thinking more and more about how I should at least start eating healthy and exercising. This should be a good opportunity to get my ass into gear about it.

Tonight Charlie and I are going to the preview screening of The Town, thanks to Greer on Twitter. Charlie was unconvinced until I mentioned that Blake Lively's in it.

One of my weekly highlights is each new episode of Dexter being released. Spoilers in the form of speculation ahead. S05E03 was the best so far this season- finally it's getting intense again. Jennifer Carpenter as Deb continues to blow my mind. I should really investigate the few other things she's done (except White Chicks. Poor woman.) And what's the story with Harrison's Nanny? Surely such an important new character will have some unexpected tie to the existing plot, or bring in some dramatic new storyline. I read a comment on the show's Facebook page suggesting she could be Lila's mother, but that seems a bit weak to me- having an Irish mother and an English daughter (presumably- we're never told for sure, but that's what her accent sounds like) seems like a big unnecessary detail to explain. But who can guess? I'm looking forward to seeing more of Julia Stiles next week. She's the first actor on Dexter that I've previously seen in other roles, so I really hope I can disassociate her from "Kat" and "Sara" and "Imogen".

I just IMDb-ed her to find her Save the Last Dance character's name, and ohmygosh! She's playing Esther in an upcoming adaptation of The Bell Jar! This is possibly old news, I don't know. How exciting! They better not water anything down to get a younger audience (see: The Time Traveler's Wife and The Lovely Bones)... it has the potential to be one incredible film.

3 comments:

Teddi said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

alice my fav pic is u in that blue cardigan w scarf. did that sound like the board game clue?)(i suspect miss scarlet in the ballroom w the revolver). ur words bout the gym & passport crack me up!

miss teacups said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

good for you for signing up for the gym and opening a savings account!!

Sarah-Rose said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Jennifer Carpenter was also in The Exocism of Emily Rose & she was astounding - the physicality of her performance still sticks with me.